Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Mother's Love

I recently read Zephaniah 3:14-17 and love this picture of how God loves us.

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

As I read that, I thought of a mommy rocking her baby, quieting the baby with her simple presence. I imagined humming a lullaby and that sense of still and calm that falls over you as your baby relaxes in your arms, completely satisfied to just be near you. I love that Evyn knows my presence- she knows my smell and my voice and she finds comfort in me. I quiet her with my love.

I so often think of God as my Father. I love the mental image of Him also loving me like a Mother. As much as I love my precious little monkeys, He loves me more. He takes great delight in me. He will quiet me with His love. And He rejoices over me with singing. I want to know Him intimately- His fragrance and His touch. I want to find quiet in His love. That is some good stuff.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. God is so good! I appreciate your encouragement and your wonderful heart!

Karis said...

You could not have said that any better. What a wonderful picture you have painted for me tonight.

Lori E. said...

Awesome, awesome blog. I think we need to be reminded of that. I feel so tense and like a chicken with no head sometimes thinking of all the people that I feel I have to take care of and make sure they are OK. Sometimes I feel like no one does that for me, and how nice it would be. You just reminded me that God can, will and does! Thanks Kristen!!