Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Monday, August 9, 2010

An "Old Testament style" miracle.

Mike teases me because I always tell him that I wish that I could see an "Old Testament style" miracle- you know what I mean- the parting of the Red Sea, scary plagues befalling bad people, manna, the sun staying still, a Jericho style victory in a battle, etc. I know that there are miracles all around me, but I always have wanted to see something where you absolutely cannot deny the hand of God! I think today might have been that day.

We have all been bracing ourselves for an extended stay in a nursing home, a feeding tube, and countless other obstacles to overcome. We are thrilled to have my dad alive and in such good spirits, but our prayer has been for complete healing of the body, soul, and spirit. So, yesterday my dad was barely able to swallow water. Today he ate a turkey sandwich and enchiladas. He did another barium swallow, did not asperate, and the speech therapist said that she could no longer detect any problem. The absolute only explanation for this drastic turn of events is a miracle. To God be the glory! My dad is currently off all tubes- no feeding tube, no oxygen, and no IVs. It is so nice to see him not hooked up to every contraption under the sun.

We are not sure if he will be released to a rehab facility or to go home, but either way is fantastic. I honestly believe that our friends and loved ones have prayed him through every step of this. And I think that he is coming home a changed man, a man more appreciative of life and all that it has to offer. We are so blessed.

I am beyond appreciative of the amazing people that God has put in our lives during this time. I have a precious friend who arranged to surprise me and come clean my house (and scrubbed my toilets cleaner than they have ever been) while we are at church on Sunday- she even left lunch in the oven to greet us when we came home! I have never felt more humbled or appreciative in my entire life. I have had amazing women love on my children while we have been at the hospital or at work. Carter keeps asking me who invited him to play at their house tomorrow. Another friend is a nursing home inspector and walked us through the whole process of finding a place to provide therapy for my dad. Countless nurses and doctors and hospital officials have been connected to our family in one way or another. We have been covered by prayers, received hundreds of text messages, emails, FB messages, and phone calls. We have felt God's hand through the love of people in such tangible ways. We are blessed.

I am anxious to post the welcome home update, and I feel like that day will come sooner rather than later! Thank you, God, for your clear provision and healing for my dad. Amazing!

7 comments:

Mika said...

This is wonderful news, Kristen. We'll continue to pray. Love you.

Anonymous said...

thrilled to hear the amazing news!!! i bet that was THE best turkey sandwich he has ever eaten!! keeping you all close in prayer!

:) linda

Brigitte said...

It's been amazing to read/hear all the miraculous things coming out of this crisis. God has certainly been faithful. So happy to hear this news!!!

Brooke said...

That is awesome! Great news and a miracle indeed! Still praying for continued healing! Love you bunches!!

Mary said...

So, so happy for you!

Stacey said...

Hooray! Thank you, Jesus!! Sooo happy for you all.

K-Lew said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

So happy for the great news!