I feel like I have been on a roller coaster and I just made it over the big, scary drop in the ride- the part that you dread because you know that your stomach will drop out and it will take your breath away. And even though I know that there will be more twists and turns and scares ahead in the ride, I feel like something amazing was accomplished because I survived the worst part- the part that scared me the most.
Doctors came in this morning and gave us a good pre-op report. Everything looked as good as it possibly could given our situation. We were told that the surgery would be a minimum of 3 to 4 hours, so we sat down and prepared to wait. We got a call at 9 that they had just started the incision. At 11 we got another call. We were expecting an update. Instead they told us that they were closing him up. The surgeon came in about 20 minutes later and basically said that his heart looked much stronger than they had anticipated and everything had gone smoothly. What an answer to prayer. We were prepared for 6 hours of waiting and instead, God came through in under two! Incredible. It was almost as if you could immediately feel the tension lift in the room.
We waited hopeful that he might wake up, but finally at 6 pm the doctors told us that he would more than likely stay under the sedation overnight so we decided to go home and rest and come back in the morning. I know that he has terrible days ahead, but there are days ahead, and for that I am so thankful. I know that his recovery will be painful, frustrating, and at times overwhelming, but there will be a recovery and for that I praise the Lord! The scripture that keeps coming to mind is Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." My prayer is that my dad will be able to cling to this on days that he wants to quit. On days that he feels discouraged. Or scared. I pray that he will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lord his God has been with him throughout this entire ordeal.
I know that the roller coaster is not over. I know that there will be ups and downs. But for today I am so relieved that I could cry. And tomorrow I will get to hear my dad's voice again, and I cannot wait! I have so much that I want to tell him. I hope that this will be the beginning of a brand new chapter in our relationship.
I cannot express how thankful I am for the AMAZING outpouring of love that I have felt from friends and family. Phone calls, text messages, Facebook love, people lining up to keep my children, hospital visits, and more than anything prayer. You guys bless my socks off. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Keep the prayers coming.
5 comments:
Thank you, God! Soooo happy for a good day and that the surgery was better than expected. We will keep praying through his recovery and the challenging days ahead! Love you guys!
Joshua 1:9 was the verse that God brought in my line of sight so often after Mark's bypass surgery, that I finally shared it with both of them. Turns out, it was the verse they had meditated on as a family before heading to the hospital that morning. God is amazing. Not only does he know what we need, He knows what we need to hear (repeatedly). What a sweet encouragement.
Rest up, friend. Thank you for taking the time to update us.
God is so good!!! I've been praying for y'all and will continue. Thanks for the update.
That's awesome! So thankful!
Yee haw! Great news! We'll keep the prayers rollin' in...get some good rest. Love you girl!
Post a Comment