Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

You better watch out. . .

It never occurred to me until this year how creepy the song "Santa Claus is coming to town" can be. I mean, it seems rather threatening- you better watch out, he sees you when you're sleeping, and he knows when you're awake. I have had mixed feelings about what to teach our kids about Santa. I want them to know that Christmas is about Jesus, and I don't want Jesus to feel "fairy-tale-ish" like Santa. That said, it would seem that Santa is almost unavoidable, and so we do the whole Santa thing. We just try to capture the teachable moments of the season too.

So, Carter is especially into Santa this year. There have been many questions about the naughty list, how elves make toys, how Santa knows if Carter is sweet, what Santa's last name is, etc. He wrote the sweetest letter and even wrote for Evyn because she is too small to write for herself. He asked for a Wii and a fishtank (which we luckily have in the attic) and legos for Evyn. Some friends of ours invited us over to meet Santa, so we jumped at the chance.

They live pretty close to us, so Carter rode his scooter and Evyn rode in the wagon.


Evyn was much more interested in dancing and eating snacks than sitting in anyone's lap, mine included. 


Carter, on the other hand, was super excited to see Santa. He ran right up to him and told him that he loved him. He used his best manners and asked what kind of cookies Santa would like us to leave for him. He also told him his address and asked him to please write it down so he would remember. Santa was lovely with Carter, and the magic in Carter's eyes was truly priceless.



While less impressed with the man in the red suit, Evyn at least tolerated Santa long enough for a picture.


What you can't see in this picture is that Carter is sitting right behind Santa eating his snacks. He was so perfectly content to just be close and sip his coco.

Every year, Mike and I find ourselves saying "This is the most fun yet." I have no doubt that these will be the days that I smile back on one day when I am an old woman remembering the magic of Christmas. I am so blessed to be a mommy to these sweet babies, and I love experiencing Christmas as a mommy. These are sweet days for sure.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

First of all, we have that fuzzy green Santa blanket. Had I known that the whole family would fight over it, I would have bought many of them!!! Also, I agree about the whole Santa thing. You certainly don't want it to be the focus....but oh the adorable moments it brings! Zach at this point knows in his mind the truth about Santa I'm pretty sure, but he still TOTALLY gets into the magic of it all. Looks like your kiddos had a blast! Love you!!!