Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Friday, February 4, 2011

A Pocket Full of Change and a Heart Full of Gold

There are times when my kids simply amaze me. Tonight was one of them. We had a gift card for Cracker Barrel and decided to go there for dinner. Like all kids, Carter loves to shop in their store, so when he heard that we were going there for dinner, he ran upstairs and raided his piggy bank. He loaded his pockets with $10 of quarters and nickels and dimes (every cashier's dream come true) and we hit the road.

We had a lovely dinner and then went to shop. Carter looked through all of the toys before his eye landed on a pretty cool toy airplane. He wanted to buy it and asked me how much it cost. It was $9.99. Without a moment's hesitation, he put it back on the shelf and told me that if he bought the airplane he would not have enough money left to buy a toy for his sister. Naturally, I stood there and cried.

Evyn fell in love with a fabulous set of wind up teeth, and Carter proudly bought them for her and came home with one of those magnetic fishing games for himself. I was so floored by his generosity, his kindness, and his complete selflessness. We never told him to buy something for her- it was completely his idea. As I watched him speak love to his sister and saw the joy that it brought to his heart, I was so touched by the way that he already understands sacrificial love better than most adults. I wondered how many times I have been less than willing to give up my "airplane" to bring joy to someone else. I reflected on how even when I do give to others, I often do it for all of the wrong reasons. A simple exchange between a brother and a sister made a mark on my heart that I will remember for a long time. I am one blessed mommy.

3 comments:

Monica Curry said...

Seriously, we could all learn a lesson from 5 year old Carter. What a blessing he is!

Mark said...

That a boy Carter!

mom said...

Carter is a lot like his Uncle Mark - way to go boys.