Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Birthday, Carter!

I remember before we had kids. Sort of. I definitely remember thinking that people who had 6 year olds were adults. The kind of adults that are responsible and mature and officially grown up. You can have a baby and still be sort of hip and cool. But when you have a "grade schooler," you might as well pull on your mom jeans and stop listening to contemporary music. Then I blinked and now I have a 6 year old and I don't quite feel like any of that is true about me. But the candles on the cake don't lie, and I have a little boy sleeping in the same bed that my toddler used to sleep in. And that little boy tells me that he is 6 years old now! Wow!

We had a sweet day of celebrations! The day before his birthday, he kept telling me, "Mom this is the last time that I will do this when I am 5." I loved the build-up for the big day! His actual birthday fell on the Friday of VBS. I was one of Carter's teachers this year at Bible School (which might need to be another post for another day), so we brought rice crispy treats and a candle and the whole class sang to him while he grinned from ear to ear. But the fun didn't stop there. Grammy and Papa took Carter to lunch and to pick out his birthday present- two hermit crabs and all the fixings. Thank you so very much, Grammy and Papa. What a very thoughtful gift. I am already brainstorming what I can get you for Christmas. Seriously, Carter adores them. They are named Noah (rainbow colored) and Sheldon, and he carries their cage with him everywhere that he goes.

After lunch came the big party. This year he had a bowling party, which mom loved because it was air conditioned and easy! We were so pleased that so many friends were able to come this year!


Good form, no?


Ellie and her sweet big sister, Anna (who walked Carter out of school every day this year).

Three of the four Hensons!


Mai Mai and Jax.


Grammy, Papa, and Mark.


Evyn even got in on the bowling action. She thought that you were supposed to kick the ball.


From left to right: Mai, Tegan, Ellie, Makenna (whom Carter has a crush on), Anna, Morgan, Paden, Carter, Blake, and Cole.


The birthday cake- I don't know why I feel like I cheated by ordering a bakery cake, but I sort of do. Carter specifically requested a cake from a bakery, and it was delicious- chocolate with buttercream frosting!


Blowing out the candles!


Carter was so sweet to thank all of his friends for their gifts and for coming to his party. I think that he really enjoyed the day! Nanna and Grandad even made the trip from Abilene! After the party, we ran home and changed clothes for his second t-ball game, and they won! All in all it was a wonderful day! We continued the celebration on Saturday with a Cracker Barrel breakfast (complete with cake for dessert).

I am so proud of the young man that Carter is growing into. He is kind, and tender hearted, and gentle. But he is also all boy. He loves to wrestle and play ball and be "dangerous." I have no doubt that the Lord has big things in store for this little man, and I am honored to get to be part of his life! Happy Birthday, Carter-bug! I love you and hope you had a spectacular day!

1 comment:

Monica Curry said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Carter! Looks like a great party!! And I'm with you...the easier, the better!!!!