So, when people ask me if I am ready for school to start back, I smile and make up some pleasant answer about school being more fun with kids around. But in my heart I want to tell them that asking me that question is like asking a surgeon if they are ready to encounter mass trauma.
Here is what makes the start of a new school year fun and exciting. I have these two little people that are literally giddy with excitement for Monday. As a mama that has spent her entire career investing in other people's kids, I cannot tell you what a blessing it is to see them on the receiving end of the blessings!
This summer, I spent countless hours with just the two of them. We laughed, we worked, we read and snuggled, we played games, we swam, and we were perfectly content to just be. I don't know if this is normal or not, but something inside me says that I am in a slim minority of moms that truly never get tired of their kids. They love each other fiercely. They are almost always together. Carter is protective of Evyn. Evyn adores Carter. For an entire 6 weeks, we lived on an island with very little outside influence and were all perfectly content. I know that I will look back on these days with gratitude and joy. But all good things must come to an end. As I write this, there are empty lunch boxes waiting to be packed and pencils waiting to be sharpened. So, I thought I would take just a few minutes to capture who these two amazing people are before they start a brand new adventure tomorrow.
Evyn is sunshine and joy. She makes the world a funnier and more entertaining place. She loves big and has all the feelings. Sometimes at the same time. She is tender, compassionate, artistic, and social. She makes friends everywhere that she goes. She is my kid that will jump in the deep end regardless of whether or not she knows how to swim (luckily she does). Evyn loves all living creatures. We currently have a pet duck. I know. I didn't know that was a thing either, but it brings her so much joy, so why not? One of life's greatest joys for me is listening to this child sing. This morning in church she was singing her heart out in worship and I had to stop singing and collect myself because it was such a precious blessing. I found a piece of yellow construction paper in her room today where she has been writing her own song about God. She amazes me. I also love listening to her pray. It is an Olympic year, and the other night at dinner she prayed thanking the Lord for the athletes and their "sculpted bodies" and special talents asking that they would remember to give "all the glory to God." Who is this kid? She has a depth and wisdom and insight about the world that astounds me. She almost has an instinctual sense of knowing when someone needs a kind word or a hug and looks for ways to be a blessing to others. She is generous with everything that she has. saving her allowance for 5 months to buy a robot dinosaur for her brother's birthday. She is so excited to start second grade for a variety of reasons. They will be changing classes between two teachers, which is a pretty big deal. And, this will be her first year to be at Miller without bubba. She will be picking up a younger friend at the end of the day and feels ever so grown up about it. Also, her first grade teacher asked her to come back and read with her kids during intervention. I watched her stand taller and beam with pride when she asked her. After her open house, I asked her what she is most excited about and she told me "I cannot wait to have some more responsibility." That is my Evyn. She fearlessly embraces whatever comes next. I watch the confidence that she exudes and even though everything within me wants her to stay small forever, I am so proud at how ready she is to tackle the world.
Some changes in life are slow and gradual. You can see the transition happening but you have time to process it all and absorb it. And then there is the kind of change that I have watched with Carter this summer. He truly was still my little boy in May. And now, everything about him screams middle school. Having worked in a middle school for five years, I am the oddity that truly loves this age and it has been a hoot to watch him navigate some of the awkwardness of this transition. His feet seem to grow an entire shoe size every 6 weeks. At this rate, he will have bigger shoes than Mike next year! He had the "growing up" talk at school last spring and checks on a regular basis for body hair, which he thinks is hilarious. And, he is starting to develop a sense of modesty, insisting on dressing and undressing in privacy but will still walk through the house naked. He has his combination locks all ready for day one and has walked his schedule multiple times already. And even though he only has one class with his bestie, he is not intimidated or nervous in the slightest. Maybe the thing that I am most struck by is how much I trust him. I trust his judgment, his integrity, his work ethic, and his ability to choose friends wisely. Part of me feels like I am allowing him so much freedom right now, but I truly believe that he is equipped to handle it. He will play percussion in the band, start tennis, and is in a pre-engineering program that I know he will love. I am anxious to watch him go to his first school dance or get a note in his locker from a girl. Carter is normally somewhat reserved and quiet. He is definitely an introvert. However, he has been talkative and nonstop excited about starting Middle School. I hope that he has so much fun and makes friends that he can navigate through this weird stage of life with! He outgrew his bunkbeds this summer and is settled into his big boy room. And the funny thing is that it just sort of feels right. He got his first real pimple last week. And was excited about it. He is thoughtful, responsible, gentle, and tender hearted. Watching his courage and drive on the baseball field makes me emotional. Because as much as I want him to be successful at everything that he does, part of me knows that he could be spared from the heartache of failing if he was just content to be on the sidelines. But that isn't Carter. He plays with heart. And you know what? He's pretty good! And he learns from his mistakes and sometimes even laughs about them. He is an amazing young man with so much to offer the world. Go be salt and light, sweet boy!
So, as I brace myself for the inevitable sweaty chaos that I will step into on my first day back, I wanted to stop and remind myself that there is much to celebrate tomorrow as well. Thanks for an incredible summer, kiddos. It is my greatest privilege in life to be your mama.
(Also, Carter I need you to remember in 10 years that on the way to church today, you voluntarily offered to move in next door to me once you are all grown. A promise is a promise, son.)



No comments:
Post a Comment