Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Reflections on Mother's Day

June 17, 2005
My First Day as a Mommy

Yesterday was a bittersweet day for several reasons. A friend from church lost her 11 year old daughter to a tragic accident last year on Mother's Day, so yesterday was the first "anniversary" of her death. Another friend that I work with lost her 12 month old daughter (first and only child) to SIDS a week ago Saturday and my heart was just so very heavy for her yesterday. Another friend lost her mother earlier this year and had a difficult day missing her mommy. I just seemed to be pretty emotional throughout most of the day. For the first time, I found that I had to stop and really make myself focus on what we were celebrating yesterday, and there is a lot to celebrate. In addition to having a mother that I love more than words can say, I get to be a mother to the most amazing kid on earth. This is something that I hope to never take for granted. What a gift each new day with him is. What a blessing to get to watch him discover dandelions and kites and other things that used to seem so ordinary. How I savor our times of snuggling on the couch. Just to hear him utter the word "mommy" is tremendously powerful for me. Carter and Mike started my day with roses and snuggling, and the day ended with feeling the baby move for the first time.
Thank you, God, for the privilege of being a mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kristen,

How absolutely lovely! You expressed your emotions very well in words. How exciting that y'all got to feel "our" baby move for the first time on Mother's Day!

I'm so excited for you and looking forward to being with you again soon!

Love,
Angela

Mary said...

What a wonderful post! You are a wonderful mommy! Love you!!

Brooke said...

So true! Motherhood is a joy like no other. The most rewarding experience of my life.

Hooray for the monkey moving around!! I voted for monkey, by the way. No shock there,huh? : )

You are adorable!!!!

Anonymous said...

Was that a good hospital meal in the background of the picture? Just wondering....

kristen lewis said...

Ben,

There is nothing better than being ravenously hungry and placed on a liquid diet until you can pass gas! Ahh, the joys of motherhood. I believe what you are seeing in the picture is tepid broth and jello.

Mama of 2 P's in a Pod said...

Well said Kristen! Thank you for reminding us that we are truly blessed to be mothers, sometimes I lose sight of that in the every-day ups and downs....

Anonymous said...

Kristen,
thank you for this post.
I read it late, but no matter.
Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
It was an emotional one for me as well.
May the Lord carry you through this pregnancy and overwhelm you with His love and peace.