Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My tender hearted boy.

I said goodbye to Brigitte tonight and managed to only fall apart a little until I got in the car and accidentally melted into a teary mess in front of the kids. I guess I don't cry very often in front of Carter. Our conversation went a little like this:

Carter: Mommy are you blowing or sucking?
Me: (doing that awkward exhale/gasp crying) Neither, baby. I am just a little sad.
C: Are you crying?
M: Yes.
C: Why are you sad?
M: I am going to really miss my friend.
C: Don't worry. We will see them again soon.
M: Not for a while. They are going very far away.
C: I will take you there tomorrow. We will get on an airplane.
M: Thank you, baby. I wish we could do that but it is too far.
C: Well, I will stay with you. I am still your boy, mommy. Don't be sad.
M: That's right. You will always be my boy.
C: Yep. Even when I am 27.
M: Thank you, buddy. I sure do love you.
C: I love you too, mommy. But I love you better happy than sad so can you be happy now.
M: Sure.
C: When you stop crying you can have a brownie.
M: (smile)

All of this was followed with the sweetest unprompted hug and kiss when we got home. I have to say that he did a pretty great job of being the man of the house in his daddy's absence. I can honestly say that I felt better after our little exchange. I am blessed.

17 comments:

Alissa said...

Aww! I always like having brownies after I'm done being sad too!

Erin said...

Aw! Precious! What a guy. He's going to make Grace a great husband someday :)

Brooke said...

Brownies and love from the little guys make everything better!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet boy! It just goes to show what a wonderful job you and Mike have done raising him.

Fortner Family said...

You have the sweetest family!! What a great mommy you are!!

Kelli Archer said...

That is just too precious! What a sweet, sweet boy!

Lori E. said...

There are a lot of things you want your children to have when they are growing up, like manners, being polite and success in EVERYTHING....but you really want them to have a big heart and empathy for others...Christ like. Carter has it already......way to go mom and dad!!!!!! Carter is so very cute!!

Mary said...

How sweet...what else can I say??

Mama of 2 P's in a Pod said...

Ok reading that made me cry, what a sweet little man you have on your hands! And he's right, brownies make everything feel better!

Angie said...

Oh man...that's precious! There's nothing better than an unprompted kiss and hug from a sweet little boy. And I SO get your tears for your friend leaving. My BFF moved to a galaxy far far away some years back and I MISS her. But it also makes those rare times we do get to see each other all the sweeter. Come on over and we'll Photoshop, eat Ben and Jerry's, and sob over friends who had the audacity to leave this little slice of Heaven known as Lubbuttocks (as my Bro-in-law says).

ashley said...

what a pumpkin! I love you and am thinking of you today.

Stacey said...

That is such an adorable story. Love that Carter! A boy consoling his momma....ahhh! Soo sweet. Melts my heart.

Staci said...

Oh, wow, that is such a sweet story. You bless my heart.

Larry said...

The best story!!!!

Anonymous said...

AWWW! How sweet. That one made me tear up. It is truly amazing how our kids can always make us smile especially when we are down. Thank you for sharing.

Organized Chaos said...

What a sweet kid you have there. (I'm smiling a bit at the "Mommy are you blowing or sucking?" question. How cute is that? :)

How great was it that you got that time with Brigitte, though? Hopefully the time will pass quickly until the next time you get to see her.

On a totally unrelated note, I tag you. I kind of enjoyed the time wasting today, maybe you will, too.

linley said...

That is so sweet.