Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stupid volcano.

Mike is in Morocco on a mission trip. Those of you that know me well, know that I might be a smidge codependent and might have a tendency to be a tad dramatic about being away from Mike. I have said before that it is a blessing and a curse to be married to your best friend and I stand by that sentiment.

I have actually managed to hold it together with remarkable strength (for me) this trip. I have really made an effort to pray that our time apart would be fruitful for eternal purposes and have deliberately chosen to spend my time praying for Mike rather than moping about him being gone. I even did OK on Mother's Day. Fast forward to today.

That stupid volcano in Iceland decided to spit out some more ash and apparently leave its ashly cloud of frustration hanging directly over Morocco. Really? Mike is indefinitely stuck in Casablanca. This does not bless my heart.

I got a little teary at work when I found out about the delay, but even held it together for the most part then. I dealt with a landlord issue and was reminded that I don't know near enough about how to handle the business of life without Mike around. Then I had supper with a friend, and got a little emotional, but not too bad. Evyn fed herself refried beans so I came home and had two bean covered kids in the tub when we had another bath tub "incident." While cleaning that, my power went out. This means that I have no fans or cool air and it was hot today. This also means that my laundry is stuck in the rinse cycle. I went outside with my female determination to find the breaker box and fix the problem to discover that the dog chewed the top of the sandbox. At this point, I am sweating, frustrated, emotional, and certain that this will be the night that someone hides in my closet and waits to kill me because the alarm won't work with the power off. So, I did what any rational human would do. I stood in the yard in my flip flops and pajamas and cried. An ugly cry. The kind that you are glad that nobody else is around to see. Then I called my mom because there are some things that only a mom can really understand. Finally I called the power company (and for the record I did not even know which power company we use) and verified that there was a power outage and not some evil ploy to cut my power lines and sneak in and kill me. This was my day.

In addition, my mom gave Carter two pet worms that I thought would die a long time ago, but they are still alive and healthy. This has nothing to do with the rest of the story, but I am going for sympathy here.

In light of my big pity party today, I thought that I might be well served to make a top ten list of my blessings. So, here we go.

10. I have really good friends- friends who bring me chocolate and let me cry, friends that meet me at Rosa's and let me share my heart over nachos, friends who text me to tell me that they are praying for me this week, friends who fill my days at work with sunshine and laughter, friends who I know I could call for anything! Amazing friends, and I am so thankful for them.
9. I have a church FAMILY. Not just a church that I attend, but an actual family. People with grown kids of their own who take us to dinner and insist on buying dessert because Carter wanted a "cherry on top." People who marvel at my kids like they are their own. That kind of family. Amazing.
8. I got to have coffee with a woman that I dearly love and respect. And she poured life and wisdom and encouragement into me for over an hour. I walked away feeling loved and richly blessed.
7. I have two precious brothers. They are funny and kind and would do anything for me. We spent a night together at Gatti's and while that is not my restaurant of choice, I had a blast hanging out with them.
6. Brigitte called me on Sunday. Very little lifts my spirits like Brigitte. I do not deserve a friend like her!
5. Technology is amazing. I have gotten to email Mike, FB with Mike, talk to Mike on the phone, and Skype with Mike. I am so thankful for a world that feels connected even when we are far apart.
4. My parents never cease to amaze me. They have gone above and beyond this week. They are eager and willing to help with the kids, call to check on me "just because," love Mike almost as much as I do, and remind me how very blessed I am to have been born into their lives.
3. Carter and Evyn. Where do I start? Carter has slept in my bed every night since Mike has been gone to "keep my company." Evyn is super affectionate and has been rather low key this week. They both fill my heart with awe and wonder and love. I am honored to get to be the one to tuck them in at night. As much as I would love to travel with Mike right now, I am thankful for this season in my life. I would not trade it for anything.
2. Mike. Not very many girls marry someone that they cannot live without. I did. And he loves God even more than he loves me, and he loves me a lot! I am blessed. I am so proud of him. I keep reflecting on what a gift it is to anxiously await the return of your best friend.
1. I serve a God who stands in the gap for me. His love is pure and sweet and good. He is more than enough. I have felt His presence in a very tangible way this past week. And I am so thankful His banner over me is love. I have felt it.

So, there you have it. I am hopeful that Mike will be home sooner rather than later. But for now, I am intentionally focusing on the blessings and making every effort to forget about the volcano, bathtub, power outage, and worms. . .

6 comments:

Brooke said...

The worms! That made the WHOLE story. Good times! This made me smile because as I read, I hear it being told in your voice! Phooey on you not being there Fri. night to tell it live. I understand though, jr. high students need chicken strips! By the way it is free reign of Muprphy's Law when a husband goes out of town. My experience usually involves livestock getting out and running down the road! xoxoxo

Brigitte said...

Yes, indeed, the worms! You make me laugh. I am blessed to hear your heart and know you can count your blessings amid the chaos! I love you much and am praying for a quick clearing of volcanic ash!! It will definitely be a great homecoming.

(P.S. Grace has made her way into my bed every night since Kevin's been gone, too. :)

Mary said...

Aw, K, you made me teary eyed. What a blessing you are!! I am missing my math "dates" with you! Are you SURE you can't skip out tomorrow night and come hang out with us??? I have got some stepdaughter stories you would not believe!! I'll give you a hint of one....the one in Midland said "Janae is a b****h in training". Wonder who she is talking about there, hmmm?? And she dares say that about my daughter??? Come on, ditch the teenagers, and come see us!! :)

Stacey said...

Love you, sweet friend! Hang in there! Oh, the refried beans! :) You are the best! Hope to see you soon. And, Friday is coming real soon.

Unknown said...

Praying for you and the kids as well as Michael. I know how much y'all miss him!

Mom said...

Sorry about the worms, he wanted even more of them. He just didn't quite get the fact that I bought them to feed to the turtles.
I cried last night when I thought about Carter going to Kindergarten next year, boy - will I miss my time with him. Silver lining, I'll get to have quality time with Evyn. Thanks for sharing them with me.