Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Family Camp 2010

We just got home from another wonderful year at Family Camp! I cannot say enough good about this place. We went this year planning to do something different next year for vacation, but we ended up leaving a deposit for next year before we came home. It is simply that wonderful. If you are a young family and might be interested in joining us next year, I would love to share details of our trip or show you the video from our week at camp! The best way to describe it is like spending a week at Kellerman's (from Dirty Dancing) only it is all centered on Christ, air conditioned, and the staff are amazing college kids who love the Lord and will minister to your kids in ways that you cannot imagine! We had amazing time as a family, Mike and I enjoyed sweet time with just the two of us, and both kids had a blast! We can't wait for next year.

Every morning the kids go to kid activities (Carter was a Coconut Kid and Evyn was in Ala Moana) while parents go to break out sessions. Our teacher this week was hilarious and we came home with some really great and simple stuff to apply to our marriage and our family. Meanwhile, the kids are playing and being loved on by the incredible staff. After the sessions, parents get another hour to hang out together before picking up kids. One day Mike and I did the zipline together, or you can get coffee or just hang out kid free! So nice!


Then in the afternoons you get family time (but the nursery is open for nap time if you want it) where you have your run of the place- waterpark, swimming pool, putt putt, jumping pillow, playground, canoes, archery, monster golf, paintball, basketball, ropes course, etc. There are also excursions to the lake where you can go bluff jumping, tubing, or skiing.


Evyn on her first canoe ride! This was actually taken on our way to the Sunrise Surfer breakfast. We had to find a treasure map, follow it to collect the treasure, and bring it back to the island in order to eat our breakfast by the campfire! Carter loved it!

Carter and daddy went hunting for crawdads on the canoe trip.

Every evening has a theme- ninja dojo, Christmas on the island, and nerd night were a few from this year. People dress up and there are evening activities that go with the theme. They are so creative and well done and really allow you the opportunity to just laugh and enjoy being a family. Everything is optional- they stress that this is your vacation, so you can do as much or as little as you want to do. There is absolutely no way to do everything that they have planned!


I tried to put pictures in a slideshow, but had some technical difficulties. Feel free to look or not, but here are some highlights from our week!


Evyn loved the frosting on a birthday cookie that we shared with some friends at camp. 


We went to the Butterfly Palace in Branson on one rainy afternoon, and watched a 3-D movie about the life of a butterfly. Carter was horrified that the butterfly got eaten by the grasshopper, but Evyn thought it was hilarious.


Carter really loves the putt putt course, and it was pretty much right outside our front door, so he could golf anytime that he wanted to!


This was taken on Christmas night. The dining hall was decked out in Christmas decorations and we went on a gospel walk where we saw Rudolph, Santa, Frosty and the Grinch. Then we decorated a Christmas tree and talked about the best gift of all. This was, of course, followed by decorating Christmas cookies and singing carols.


Evyn and Carter both really enoyed hanging out in the hammocks.


This kid has some mad archery skills for a 5 year old.


Sharing a milkshake poolside.


Jumping pillow.


This day we left Evyn in the nursery and took Carter on a "big kid" day. We went swimming with just him and went to the lake. He tubed with me, then with Mike, and then surprised us both by asking to go by himself! He rode solo for about 20 minutes. I was so proud of him. And it was so amazing to see how great he felt about himself after doing so many "big kid" things!


He also climbed a 30 foot rock wall while he was with the Coconut Kids. He made it all the way to the top! We went back to watch him do it again, and he didn't quite make it, but I was still so proud. I feel like I watched him grow up right in front of me during the week.


Sweet Evyn on the 4th of July. By coincidence, the 4th of July was parent night this year, where the parents get a candlelight dinner while your kids are having a blast without you. Then you can ride the boat into Branson landing and walk and shop or listen to live music. So much fun. When we got back and picked up the kids, there was an amazing firework display!


Nerd night.


Carter drove our pontoon. I love his face in this picture. He actually steered and did a great job. His "helper" (Chris) was so great with Carter and was also our boat driver on lake day. Evyn loved riding on the boat and just snuggled in my lap the whole time. Lake Taneycomo is COLD and even being on the boat was pretty chilly.


These two look like they are about to be up to no good.


Climbing the wiggle ladder. I wish that I had a picture of Mike wiping out on this thing. Hilarious!


These were the girls from Ala Moana (the Shallows) where Evyn hung out- Jessica, Erika, Jenna, and Lindsay. They were wonderful with her. She got to play in the sprinklers, sandbox, jumping pillow, playground, gym, make crafts, and so much more. She had a fabulous time!


I can't really explain how neat the staff is. This is Kenny- he worked with the Coconut Kids. Carter adored him. He would sit with us at meals, made Carter PBJs, and really brought him out of his shell over the course of the week. On the last night, we looked up and Carter was at the top of the huge waterslide (that we had to bribe him to go down with us) with Kenny having the time of his life. They start loving on you from the minute that you drive onto campus- they completely unload your car while you are going on a tour, and then the honestly look for opportunities to help you throughout the week. For example, Evyn decided this week that high chairs are for the birds, which made meal time challenging. Every single meal, one of the staff would offer to take her outside or upstairs so that we could have a chance to finish eating. Those of you with almost 2 year olds know how amazing this is! And to watch Carter build relationships with college guys who are so sold out for the Lord was so cool. I would love for both of my kids to work at Kanakuk one of these days.


This is Mallory, who was ever so helpful with bathroom issues with Carter. Again, such a gift to this mommy to not have to worry about accidents while he was with the big kids. She has a beautiful spirit and is always smiling!


I will leave you with a Lewis family photo, ninja style! Sorry for the length of this post, but there is so much to share! I would love to tell you more, if you are interested. It is a week that you will never forget with your family!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Family camp was awesome. Can't wait for next year!

Mike

Anonymous said...

You need never apologize for the length of a post. I loved reading about this year's family camp and that last picture is a hoot!

Love from China and happy (belated) birthday, dear friend!

Judy

ashley said...

oh my gosh! what an awesome post. (just the right length, I might add) we are seriously considering going next year. it looks like an absolute blast!

ashley said...

oh and I forgot to say that the last picture should be on your christmas card and the pic of just you and evyn about halfway thru is stunning. she looks like you in it!

Heather Bolin said...

So glad you all had a wonderful time! I love the pic of Carter sharing his milkshake...what a good big brother!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a blast! By the way, I love your hair cut like that, it looks adorable.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I love the picture of you and Evyn!

Danny said...

Carter's face and pose in the ninja picture might just be one of the funniest things that I have ever seen.

Angie said...

SO FUN! Glad you had a great time but glad you're back too. Let's go see Eclipse!

And I love love love the ninja pic. Blow that one up and hang it above the fireplace.

Mom said...

I also loved the post and think the last picture is a hoot. I'm so glad you have gotten to experience this camp.