Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Leprechauns, Unicorns, and 3 Day Potty Training

If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

After hearing the success that several of my buddies had using the "3 Day Potty Training" method, I decided to jump in and give it a shot over Spring Break. In my infinite wisdom, I also thought that this would be an optimum time to work on getting Carter in undies overnight. Mike is out of town, and I was determined to get 'er done.

Here are some things that I have learned:
  • I can run really fast when I have to.
  • I am not too proud to wear socks, dress shoes, and sweats to the dumpster.
  • When that dumpster trip is the only time you leave your house for three days, you actually anticipate it and really enjoy it.
  • It takes me approximately three days of not leaving the house to really perfect the whole "hermit" thing.
  • After those three days, I am also ready to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.
  • Walmart panties are definitely inferior to Target panties. Seriously, the legholes on the "Faded Glory" panties might just fit my thighs.
  • Large legholes are not good when potty training a 2 year old.
  • Two steps forward, two steps back.
  • Urine on tile is very, very slippery.
  • The m+m's in the bathroom are more for moms than for kids.
  • Large waterproof pads and bath towels can save you from washing crib sheets twice a day.
  • Carter is a VERY hard sleeper.
  • On Day One, Evyn looked at me and said "I need to potty." Foolishly, I thought that we were onto something. In my "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" thinking, I assumed that she would verbally communicate her needs to me from this point on. However, we have spent the last two days with a less pleasant method of non-verbal communication.
  • I feel gratitude and love for my mom, Stacey, Sherril, Ashley and Monica in ways that I find difficult to communicate right now. So many text messages. So much support. So much gratitude.
  • We have definitely made huge progress, but I want to personally hunt down the lady that wrote the 3 Day Potty Training book and poke her in the eye and call her a liar. And tell her that Unicorns aren't real either, but they sure are a nice thought. . .

4 comments:

Monica said...

oh you have me laughing. love you kristen. hang in there. yes, the 3 day method is a lie. however, it's a start, and i really think by the end of the week you'll be breathing a huge sigh of relief. potty training is for the birds. if it makes you feel better, braidy pooped in his pants TWICE while visiting my sister the other day! awesome! and threw his poopy undies OVER HER BALCONY onto her living room floor. he just prefers his own potty i guess.

Stacey said...

Oh my goodness. This is hilarious! You will feel silly in the morning if you wake up and she's all ready to take care of business! I'm glad you are over the 1st hump. I'm sure it will get easier every day. You'll never get these 3 days of your life back, but you'll never have to do them again! It will make a good story some day for Evyn! Keep up the good work, and keep the texts a-comin.'

Carrie Maxwell said...

I am cracking up... Only you can make misery so funny!!! Your kids are lucky to have you!

Mary said...

Hang in there K, it will be over and a distant memory before you know it. Missed you at the park today! Wish you could have been there. Hope to see you soon friend! :)