Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Today was a very special day in the Lewis house. It was Carter's birthday! Sort of.

Carter has told us for a long time now that he will poop on the potty when he is four. He has gone into elaborate detail about how we should have a party at the fire station and bring cupcakes. I figured that for the cost of a box of cake mix and frosting, it was worth a shot, so I called our friend (Fireman Paul) and some buddies and we had an almost birthday party today!

Here are Carter and Mai and Grace getting ready to tour the fire station.

This is Carter's new hero, Fireman Paul. He was absolutely amazing with Carter and even told him that all firemen do their poopoo in the potty! Atta boy, Paul!

This was the rest of the crew. These guys were such good sports. They wore these ridiculous hats, gave us VIP treatment, and even helped Carter open his presents. They were seriously the nicest guys on the planet.

And an almost birthday party would not be a party without Grammy and Papa! They brought 4 presents and a card that said "Happy 4th Birthday!"

Even sister got in on the action!

Mai made Carter the sweetest Valentine card! She was terrified the entire time but hung in there.

What you can't see in this picture is that Carter is sitting in the front seat of the firetruck smiling from ear to ear! Mai and Grace got to ride in the back.

Not only did they let the kids try on the gear, but they also had one fireman put everything on and demonstrate the oxygen mask, which scared all three kids to death. Good times.

Next up was the hose! Can you see the look of sheer joy on his face?

Sweet Grace! Luckily, she wore her rain boots!

Opening presents (I went around the house and wrapped things that he had forgotten about).

Blowing out the candle on his cupcake!

So the verdict is still out on whether or not this was a succesful (shameless) attempt at manipulating my child to do something that I want him to do. But I have decided that even if we still wear diapers for months to come, it was a fabulous day. Thank you to Mike, Grammy, Papa, Mark, Brig, Grace, Sum, and Mai for playing along! And a HUGE thank you to Fireman Paul and the crew for a precious memory that I will always cherish!

14 comments:

Mary said...

I LOVE it!! Hope it works! Every kid in the world needs to have a firehouse tour. It's such a blast, and I think it gives them even more of a respect for these great people! So glad you were able to have a fun experience!

Anonymous said...

Grace had a great time and has been talking about the experience all day! Thanks for a fun memory. Those firemen were such good sports!

Anonymous said...

We agree Brig, It was a blast. And, even though my child cried through the whole tour, it is all she has talked about all day. We are keeping our fingers crossed for you!

Monica Curry said...

I am crying I am laughing so hard. You are a genius. This just might be Carter's big move. He may be a year ahead from here on out. I sure hope it's a success. I am just wondering what he will turn on his real bithday??? OOOOH Carter, I love you!

Micah and Colby Malouf said...

So, it's not his REAL birthday AND the fireman are telling Carter about how they poop in the pot? Oh, Kristen...this is nuts, but another good story. I think we, as readers, should nominate you for some sort of bloggy award.

Carrie Maxwell said...

that is awesome. hope it works.

if not, what a special treat for carter.

Anonymous said...

You are truly one of the great creative moms. Fantastic idea.

Anonymous said...

Grammy and Papa had a terrific time. Watching Carter smile from ear to ear was worth every second and if we get the extre bonus of proper potty skills, all the better.
I didn't see a picture of Mark. He was a terrific sport and a great uncle!

Kelli Archer said...

I am so lovin this! I hope it works, but like you said, if not...it looks like he had a great day!

Kelli Archer said...

I am so lovin this! I hope it works, but like you said, if not...it looks like he had a great day!

Anonymous said...

I hope it works for the BIG 4 year old! What a great idea. I would have a pretend birthday party anyday to save from changing diapers.

Chris and Carolee said...

Just when I thought I could not love this family more you go and do this. Too funny. I love it. Carter is so cute that he should have two birthdays.

Angie said...

Awesome idea!! I can't wait to hear if it works!

Unknown said...

Haha, I told Madelyn she could turn 4 if she could learn to write her name. We are up to m-a-d, I've been wondering what to do if she gets the whole thing before June.