Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Think about such things.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." Phil 4:8

I am amazed at how the enemy seems to know exactly how, where, and when to attack. He specifically targets the quiet places in our hearts where he has already planted seeds of doubt. I am so thankful to know that what he (the enemy) intends to harm us, God intends for good (Gen 50:20). I am humbled by the faithful and strong love of a savior who will search me and know my heart. What an amazing Heavenly Father I have.

I say all of that to say that every day we get to choose what we will focus on. We choose where we spend our emotional, physical, and spiritual energy. Today I choose life. I choose to focus on the blessings in my life- the things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Here are just a few.

  • Evyn greeted me this morning when I got her out of bed by saying "Hi cookie!" I have no idea where that came from as she normally calls me mommy, but it made me smile.
  • Carter gave me a homemade "trophy" this morning for being the best mommy ever.
  • I was greeted with warmth and enthusiasm by kids and teachers at school today- it was almost nice to be back.
  • My sweet Mike sent flowers to me at work today- just because.
  • The weather was a beautiful 75 degrees today!
  • We had breakfast for dinner!
  • One of our students unexpectedly lost her father over the break. I am freshly reminded of the gift of each day.
  • A sweet friend called me with her own emergency today but patiently listened to me instead.
  • My orthodontist and his entire office staff are potentially the most friendly people on earth. I walked in for a checkup and left smiling ear to ear. Plus, it looks like I will be out of my braces by this summer! In the mean time, I have 5 horrific rubber bands to wear, but I am not choosing to focus on that today!
  • I got to spend a quiet evening with my two favorite little people. Their love is so sweet and pure and good.

I don't mean to pretend that life is all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, but I am reminded today that I have a choice about what I think on. Thank you, God, for the reminder.

6 comments:

Stacey Stephens said...

Very well said. Love hearing about all of the great things that happened to you today!

Brigitte said...

Love you, friend!

Lori E. said...

Way to go Kristin. Satan's biggest foot hold, may be when we do not focus on the good in our life. Keep it up, and yes you are blessed!!!

Summer said...

I was reminded today of why I love you. I love how real and raw you are about life. Your bold confidence in Christ exudes in every aspect of your life. I love hearing about your bad days, because it reminds me that we all have these, and I LOVE hearing about your best days. Today, you seem to have it all figured out. Love you.

Mary said...

You are such a blessing to all who are around you!! :)

Mom said...

Did you know that your dad used to tell me to think about Phil. 4:8 all the time? At first, that really bothered me but then, the true meaning of the verse started to sink in and now it is one of my favorite verses. Every cloud does have a silver lining, we just need to choose to look for it. Thanks for reminding me of that.