Back in our college days, Mike and I had a friend who had taken in a stray cat. Then they got a dog, and the two did not mix. So, we inherited Toonces. She survived Mike and his college roomies, and was the first "baby" that we ever really loved.
I guess that I am an animal person, maybe more than I realized. I don't love all animals, but I sure loved this one. She was a great cat. She didn't have that aloof arrogance that so many cats have. She loved to snuggle. And she slept with me every night. There were a few times that I would even wake up to her "grooming" my hair as I slept. She was playful and loving and super low maintenance. She truly was part of our family.
(This picture was taken after a less than gentle touch. I promise that Carter was not in any real danger!)
A couple of weeks ago, Toonces quit eating. It turns out that she had tumors in her neck and stomach. Our vet told us that the most loving thing to do would be to put her to sleep. And I was surprised by the intensity of my emotional reaction to the whole situation. I have spent the last week teary and sad. And horrified by the thought of choosing the day to take her in. We knew that this was the right thing to do- her whole body just deteriorated so very quickly and it was obvious that she was hurting. I know that the world is full of real tragedy and bigger problems than losing a pet, but my heart is so very sad.
So, today I said goodbye to an old friend. A sweet friend who has seen me through many happy times and snuggled with me through some hard times. She was a spunky little beast, and I will miss her tremendously.
Goodbye, Toonces. I love you.
7 comments:
Okay, now I'm teary. Why do animals imprint our lives so much? I've grieved a 12 year old parakeet! The good ones fit into your family so well, of course you consider them part of it! They're wonderful.
I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye. Toonces will be very, very missed. I'm glad your kiddos got to know her and love her.
so very sad. ugh. sorry that you have to go thru this. sounds like you were lucky to have toonces...and that she was oh so lucky to have you guys. it is amazing the unconditional love that animals give us...and in return we give to them, as part of our FAMILY. sweet pictures and sweet memories...may they give you a sense of peace as your mourn your precious toonces. prayers for your family. hope the kids are handling it okay...
:) linda
Well, my eyes just welled up as I remembered the day I put my cat to sleep, knowing just how you feel. You'll always have the sweet memories in you heart! That and the knowledge that your cat had the coolest name!!!
Thinking of you and loving you!
I'm so sorry. We love our fur-babies too and have had to say goodbye in the past. It is hard. Big hugs to you.
I'll never forget when Mark came in and said to Danny, "CU has ants in his eyes." I hated that the cat had died and that Mark had found him. I also hate that Toonces is gone, she was a super cat.
I'm sorry, K. Love and hugs your way.
Post a Comment