Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reflections on my time alone.

Mike comes home on Thursday night and I can't wait! Here are some random thoughts I have had in his absence:

1. I was not made to live alone. God knew that I needed Mike in my life. I have found myself praying that I will eventually die before he does. Morbid, I know, but true. Should he go first, I will definitely need a roommate.

2. Mike does a lot of things around the house that I really don't like doing- carrying out trash, cleaning cat barf, etc.

3. A King size bed is far too big for one person.

4. I am so blessed to be married to my best friend.

5. Carter is actually pretty good company. I am almost giddy when he wakes up from his nap!

6. A baseball bat (even the foam toddler version) makes me feel much more secure when I am looking in all of the closets for the boogy man after accidentally leaving the front door unlocked while I was running errands.

7. The deep thought for the day. . . Mike's and my relationship has not changed just because he is not right here with me. He is still my husband and my best friend. The only thing that is different is that I am not in his presence right now, and I feel acutely aware of it. I then started thinking that my relationship with God is much the same. He loves me unconditionally whether I am close to Him or far away. He chooses to adopt me as His daughter regardless of my current thoughts, behaviors, and actions. His love is constant. The only thing that changes is that I sometimes neglect to be in His presence. When I choose to draw near to Him, I find that same warmth and belonging that has been there all along- I just forget to bask in it. Maybe the thing that I find myself thinking more than anything right now is that I don't want to go on a "trip" away from God. I want to live every day with Him right beside me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, it has been fun following your blog as I've had time here in Morocco. You are such a great writer!

Second, how about you thinking about dying? 'Atta girl! Paul says that at that point we are "swallowed up by life." It really is a great thought that we should probably have at least once a day. It's not morbid!

Love you!

Mike

Anonymous said...

Kristen,

This posting is adorable! It made me laugh during this somber time where I am. I do, however, understand what you are saying. I especially like the foam bat weapon!

Love, Angela

PS: Aw, Michael - and you are the first to respond to this blog. That IS special! I love you both. MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey K, great insight. Love you and hope the rest of the time Mike's away goes really quickly for you!

Anonymous said...

I read the blogs backwards,latest to now) so tonight Mike is getting home and your blog was so sweet and profound. We should have that relationship with God. You are BLESSED to be married to your best friend and Mike is blessed to be so loved.
Lori E.