Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Healing

I was reflecting on pain the other day as I was putting a shoe on my jacked up toe. It is amazing how one injury to a seemingly insignificant part of your body can alter so many things in your life. It occurred to me that before I broke my toe I never stopped to be thankful that it did not hurt. Isn't that how all painful experiences are? I did not wake up this morning and pause to be thankful for a healthy body, working limbs, a warm house, a beautiful family, etc. But if I were to encounter "pain" in any of these areas, it would be life altering.

I feel like my toe is finally starting to heal because I can walk down the stairs now without wanting to cry. I know it sounds silly, but I am so thankful for an almost functional toe. By the same token, I feel compelled to say how grateful I am for all of the little things that I don't stop to appreciate until they are "broken"- a husband that is honestly my bestest buddy, two children that make my heart sing, friends and family that fill my days, a job that I love, my dream house, a great church, the colors of the leaves as they are changing, music, fresh air, hot chocolate, laughter, naptime- I could go on. I guess sometimes the process of healing is a perfect reminder to thank God for the things in your life that are not broken! And I am truly thankful.

4 comments:

Carrie Maxwell said...

beautifully said... and so true.

Anonymous said...

To quote your hubby, "Good word..." Love you, friend and look forward to catching up SOON.

Mark said...

Also be thankful for the steel toed boots I'm giving you for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Kristen...

You say things so well. There is so much to be thankful for and so much love, laughter, and blessings to experience! Thanks for reminding me.

Kim