Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tomorrow

I go back to work tomorrow. I have known that this day was coming for a long time and I have been praying that the Lord would prepare my heart. I know that tomorrow will be hard, but I feel calm. Part of me is excited to see my big kids at school again and I am blessed to have friends that I am looking forward to seeing. But to be completely honest, my heart is breaking right now. How can I leave that sweet smiling little girl? It is so stinking hard.

I sometimes feel like being a working mom is the most intricate balancing act on earth- balancing being your best at work with being even better at home. Balancing loving your profession with adoring your family. Balancing feeling that amazing sense of accomplishment with feeling guilty. I could go on. It is really hard for me. I love my job. I really do. But I wrestle with these emotions and more.

I have savored the time that God has given me to be a mommy this fall. I have watched Carter grow up so much in such a short time. I have gotten to hold Evyn by the hour and I think that she has actually grown while in my arms. I feel like I know my kids better than anyone else and I love that. What a precious gift the Father has given me in these two precious children. Maybe the best part of being a working mom for me is that it makes me become very intentional about cherishing the time that I get to be a mommy, and I do cherish it. In some ways, I am a much better mother because I feel like I have to make every minute count.

I am also richly blessed that my children will go straight from my arms to other arms that will love and cherish them. They will spend two days a week at PDO with amazing and loving teachers (shout out to Bolton- I love you!), two days a week with Grammy (you know how much you mean to me) and one day a week with the best daddy on the planet. I could not ask for better care for them. And as good as all that sounds, it is still not me. I am thankful for the precious love that they will receive and almost jealous of the people who will get to be with them while I am working all at the same time.

It is my tendency to be a somewhat irrationally emotional person. My nature right now is to grieve the time that has passed- grieve the fact that Evyn is almost three months old and my maternity leave is over. God is slowly teaching me to live in the present. Each day is so full of joy and I don't want to miss a minute of it because I was too busy crying that yesterday is over. I want to love a life of "todays". And I guess that means that I need to let go of my anxiety about tomorrow. I know that God is big enough to hold me through it. I know that my Heavenly Father delights in me even more than I delight in my own children and that makes me feel richly loved. So pray that as I drop off my babies in the morning my heart will be full of the love of Christ and that I will be able to focus on that throughout the day. Pray that tomorrow will not be a day of sadness but the start of a new chapter for us. Thank you all for your love and support. I am so blessed to have the friends that I have. And thank you giving me the freedom to be transparent here. I promise to get back to posting about mousetraps and skin tags soon!

(Oh yeah, if you want to make me feel a little bit better, you could always go vote for me (#13) again here: http://denaehutsonphotography.blogspot.com/)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, Kristen! I have voted for the most adorable granddaughter in the world! That should make you feel a little better! ; ) I'm grateful that you have had this very special time with Carter and Evyn! Now, God is going to bless you - as you allow Him - as you come into the lives of students who do not have the same Kingdom Love that you can share with them. I thank God for you and Michael and how you minister to so very many in Lubbock! Your children will be the richer for having observed their parents serving an awesome Father!

I love you and will be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

My arms will be around the kids, my heart will be with you. Thank you for trusting me with your precious ones.
I love you.

Brooke said...

I will be praying for you tomorrow! Take it hour by hour. You are an awesome Mom & LISD employee and you bless everyone you come in contact with. I agree, two thumbs up for Bolton...Evyn will indeed be in great hands!!!
By the way, on a lighter note...I will be anxiously awaiting your first public pumping story!
Big hugs to you my friend!

Mary said...

Aw, Kristen, my mommy thoughts are with you, I know it's going to be so hard! I remember the first day with Carter! You are a wonderful momma and a wonderful counselor and I love ya! Way to go Bolton, you're becoming famous! You feel the pressure yet?? tee, hee

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you and praying for you too.

Anonymous said...

I know tomorrow will be a tough day, but I will be praying for you. If you need a partner to cry with come on down to room 124 and I will be waiting. The kids already think I am a crazy emotional lady so it won't bother them.

Being a working mother is such a balance that you expressed perfectly. We have amazing jobs and Evans, be we are called to be moms first. After speding two week with Madison I have been teary all day thinking about leaving her. While I am emotional for both of us, I can't wait to see you tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you about tomorrow! You're a wonderfully amazing momma, my friend. (PS, I love the shameless plug once again at the end. I voted...:)

Stacey said...

I am praying for you, sweet friend! You have such an amazing heart. I am thrilled to be with Evyn and just can't wait to hold her! Call me, text me, come to PDO as much as you want to check on her. We don't mind. See you Wed!

Denae said...

I will be thinking about you tomorrow! From what I can tell, you are the perfect example of a working mom by excelling at both your job and being a mommy!

By the way, I am finally getting some time to get back to my true love of blog surfing...so I've been catching up on some of your posts. I added you to my blog list, so I will definitely be checking in more often now!

Lori E. said...

Kristen, I thought of you this morning even before I read this. Today will be the hardest and then you will get back into the swing of things. You do have some excellent care givers, that is peace. And you do the balancing act very well and I am thinking that your family will be fed in the P.M. as well, because of all the great recipes I have seen. Way to go, you will be fine!!!!!!!

Mark said...

I had no idea you get emotional about things... ;) Hope you have a great day back at school!

Monica Curry said...

I have been praying for you. I am so glad you're back, its' so refreshing to see your sweet face in the halls again. I feel your pain. You got me through my first day back, so if you need a breakdown moment, come find me. I'd love nothing more than to return the favor. And let me know when our first "Pumping Party" is. I'll bring refreshments =)

Organized Chaos said...

Been thinking about you today. Hope everything has been a smooth, easy transition back into regularly scheduled programming. The "balance" may elude you for the first couple days or more, but don't let that stress you out. You'll find it again. Give yourself some grace in the next couple weeks. Love you!

Micah and Colby Malouf said...

Your post breaks my heart...I hope you had a great day back with friends and now your snugly with the babies!