Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Nan

Today was the funeral of an absolutely amazing woman, Nannette Barrett. She passed away on Friday morning after battling cancer for 27 years. To say that she will be missed is an understatement. I have wrestled with whether or not writing about her on my blog is "appropriate," and came to the conclusion that she most definitely made a mark on my life and her passing has caused me to really reflect on several things that are worth writing about. So it is with a great deal of love and respect that I share the following thoughts.

Obviously your prayers for her family are coveted. Her son, Brooks, graduated from high school the night before she died and her daughter, Baylee, will be a sophomore in high school next year. Her husband, Danny, has spent his entire life caring for her and there is no doubt that he will miss his wife more than I can imagine. These are precious people and my heart hurts for them.

One of the things that God continues to show me is that He is big enough to stand in the gap for a mommy. The human side of me and the mother in me knows that the little things in life like laundry, cooking, wrapping presents, buying toothpaste, planting flowers, and goodnight kisses are about to not feel so small and insignificant for this family. And I find myself asking God how this family can be expected to carry on without their mom and wife. And time and time again, He reminds me that He is not only my Heavenly Father, but He is big enough, gentle enough, kind enough, patient enough, loving enough, and more than enough to be a Mother as well. I know that this sounds so simple, but this truth stretches me in so many ways.

Nan was a beautiful woman. She took care of Carter every Friday for the first year that he was alive. I feel so blessed that my little man got to soak up even a small part of who she was. What a gift for our paths to get to cross in such an intimate way. I found a book that Nan gave Carter and she wrote in it challenging him to love God with all of his heart. I know that she did. I know that she is home now.

It seemed appropriate that there was a beautiful rainbow in the sky on my way to the viewing last night. I am reminded that God does keep His promises. She is restored. There is no more pain. And I know that she must have an incredible head of hair now! Today at the funeral I sat behind a little girl and her mother. I watched as the little girl kept looking at her mom while she silently cried. Watching her process her mother's grief was really moving for me. The mom put her arm around her daughter and the daughter rested her head against her mom and I was reminded that the best way to honor Nan is to keep living. To keep comforting my babies. To turn their eyes to the Lord. To laugh and savor and sing. Being a mom has completely changed the way that I process grief, maybe because I know an entirely new dimension of love now too. I am so thankful for each day that God has given me to spend with my babies. And I am so thankful for the life of Nannette. She was an inspiration to so many and I feel honored to say that she was my friend. Her legacy will live for a long time to come.

Thank you, Nan, for reminding me how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.

10 comments:

Chris and Carolee said...

I am so thankkful that you shared this. I have spent so much time in prayer for all of you at BHBC. Nan was such a beautiful person inside and an out and will be greatly missed. Chris and I our thankful to have known her. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts were beautiful.

Summer said...

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing.

Brooke said...

She was an incredible woman. I am so glad she is healed now!

Organized Chaos said...

I wish I could have known her. I'm so glad you, Mike and Carter did. She was obviously an amazing woman. We are praying for her family.

It's a beautiful tribute, Kristen.

Stacey said...

Wonderfully written! Great reminders for all and so from the heart. Thank you. Thinking of you with losing such a dear friend.

Kelli Archer said...

What a wonderful tribute to an amazing woman. I, too, have had these same thoughts over the last few days, however I have struggled to put them into words. Thank you for allowing yourself to express these feelings. God is so good, and He is big enough to fill any gap.

Angie said...

That was beautiful...and it sounds like Nan was a beautiful woman as well. It's so true how grief is different as a mom....everything's different as a mom for sure. My thoughts are with you.

Mom said...

Well said Kristen. Nan may be gone but her testimony will live on for a long time. She blessed so many people. Your tribute expresses some of my thoughts as well however, you say it better.
I love you.

Anonymous said...

My last memory of Nan is giving her a ride from the parking to the front of Lakeside and that was the day I took Brinson home from the hospital. Great lady.

Lori E. said...

What a blessing that she left her finger prints on Carter as she did Zane. Such a wonderful, radiant example of Christ on Earth. Yes, we must pray for her family who will miss her until they see her again, which they will and how peaceful to KNOW that she is sitting in all of that glory and fully healed without a care. She will be missed and can we all try to be just a small bit like her.