Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Franken-Celery

Carter had a bad dream a few nights ago. We woke up in the middle of the night to him crying and saying "the green monster will eat me." We went upstairs and patted his back and he went back to sleep. The next morning he kept talking about the green monster and we had no idea what he was talking about. It turns out that he has a deeply rooted fear of "Franken-Celery" from the Veggie Tales "Where's God When I'm Scared?" Who can blame him?


So in the last few days we have had several heart to heart conversations about Franken-Celery being pretend. We told him that when he is scared Jesus will protect him. So I was tucking him in on Thursday night and we were saying prayers. Carter threw in "Jesus, please protect me and doggie from the Franken-Celery. Thank you. Amen." So sweet. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christian was about Carter's age when Shrek came out. We tried to take him to see it at the theater twice and had to leave both times. He would just cry and cry. When it came out on video he was a little older so we thought he could handle it --actually we wanted to see it!! When they showed Shrek the first time Christian hid behind our bedroom door peeking to see when he was gone. After we got through the inital shock he was ready to watch the rest of it and actually laughed some!!!
Carter's experience made me think of Christian's with Shrek!! Thanks for listening!!

Brigitte said...

I love Carter's sweet prayer! Grace has started being scared of different things too, most recently dinosaurs. Happy summer, friend! Congratulations on being done for the year. I'm so glad you're going to get some much-deserved rest. Love, B.

Organized Chaos said...

I think what I hated most about the "awareness" of all things scary at that age was the realization that they were now old enough to have these kinds of discussions. You hate that he was scared, but it gave you the teachable moment of showing him how to take his fear to Jesus. You handled it perfectly.

I had a fear with Z when he was young, that I would inadvertently make him scared of something he never would have thought of on his own to be scared of by letting him watch shows I didn't realize he wasn't ready for. We waited forever to watch shows like Monsters Inc., superhero cartoons and the such. With him being the only kid for 4 years, it was pretty easy. Until...

Child #2.

Unfortunately, that kind of censorship gets lost with the subsequent kids - or it did with us anyway. (It keeps our DVD library pretty younger kid friendly though....)

Did our parents have to police stuff for us this much?