Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Rediscovering Evyn.

My very favorite way to spend time is hanging out with my little family. We spend countless hours in the floor playing together and laughing. I love it. It is one of life's simplest and purest joys. And as much as I love the time that we spend together with all four of us, every now and then I get to spend some sweet time with just one baby. On Sunday afternoon, Mike and Carter headed outside to play in the snow, which left Evyn and I with about an hour to do girl things.

Evyn is such a fun age right now. And as much as I think I have been intentionally savoring her, I completely rediscovered what a precious joy she is on Sunday afternoon. We had a tea party (hopefully the first of many) with her little plastic tea set, she kissed me and then giggled, and sat in my lap to read books. I just watched her and marveled at all of the little things that make her so wonderful.

She is so very social and loves to make other people laugh. She is incredibly mobile and not afraid of anything. She climbs, jumps, and slides all with no fear. She talks up a storm and we are starting to understand more of what she says. She loves to give kisses. She loves to snuggle. She loves ducks, and babies, and balls. She loves her brother and he is crazy about her. She guzzles milk and loves chicken nuggets. She is sunshine, and laughter, and joy.

Look at this smile.

And those enormous brown eyes that look just like her daddy's eyes.

And I can't quite get over these beautiful curls.

Her eyelashes are so perfectly feminine.

This is how we play peek a boo.

And here she was just talking up a storm- rather intent on telling me something, but I wasn't quite sure what!

I enjoyed every minute of our time together. I held her and tried to memorize her smell and the feel of her in my arms. I prayed that God would help me teach her the things that really matter in life. Things about inner beauty and grace and forgiveness. I prayed that she would grow up strong in spirit and tenderhearted. And I prayed so much more. I guess I could sum up my afternoon by saying that I completely rediscovered the gift that I have in Evyn. I have loved her from the moment that I met her, but she definitely stole another little piece of my heart on Sunday.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I just love your blog. It give me the warm fuzzies everytime! You Lewis ladies are precious!

ashley said...

what an awesome celebration of that sweet baby girl. you are a beautiful writer and an amazing mother! can't wait to hang tomorrow!

Lori E. said...

Oh Kristen, that was so very sweet!! Carter and Evyn are so blessed to have you and Mike as parents. I remember when Zane was a baby and just doing the same thing just saying to myself this is my last baby, I want to remember it all, and just really taking it in.