Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My dermatological adventure.

Today was the big day. I am now mole and skin tag free! Whoohoo!

My precious mom came with me to help with the baby while I lost every shred of pride that I ever had. The adventure started with a hungry baby in the waiting room. I looked around at the 20 people waiting and decided that the doctors were in no hurry, so I busted out my nursing cover and started feeding Evyn. I kid you not- as soon as she latched on they called my name. I have decided that the key to shortening your time in the waiting room is to breastfeed. You should try it.

By the time I made it back to the exam room, Evyn was ready to eat. I had to ask the fabulously attractive nurse if it was OK if I fed her while I described the horrors that she was about to see. Then she asked me why I was there. I wanted to tell her that I had already given the specifics to the lady on the phone, but instead I started down the list of abnormalities that she was about to encounter. She literally had to ask me to slow down.

She leaves. I take my pants off and finish feeding the baby. The doctor comes in. He goes after the skin tag on my neck like it is nothing. So far so good. Not too much pain- I am only a little grossed out by hearing the snip of the scissors on my flesh. He puts a needle in the skin right under my eye. This was unpleasant. The pretty nurse is holding my hands. Then I hear his scissors cut the flap of skin off my eye. I want to cry and vomit simultaneously. It gets worse. The needle goes into the side of my nose. Several times. It felt like I was getting my nose pierced slowly with a sewing needle. Another snip and some disgusting sounding scraping. At this point I am oozing blood from my eye and am sweating. It gets worse. I then have to stand up in my granny panties and expose the skin tag on my butt. I am wishing that I had worn cuter panties. I am wishing that I was not sweating. I had to ask the doctor if he would like me to bend over. The answer was yes. I was afraid of that. This time I was sprayed with a deadening spray. Then there was the snip. The spray did not work- it really hurt. I warned the doctor that this skin tag probably had its own blood supply. I was right. The pretty nurse held gauze on my bottom for an uncomfortably long time before she asked if I would hold it myself assuring me that this was every bit as embarassing for her as it was for me. Really? I doubt that very much. I am still sweating. The doctor scopes out my potential wart on my arm and tells me that it is nothing to worry about and then looks at the scar on my back and gives me the all clear. I can't decide if it is really OK or if he is just tired of me exposing new parts of my body to him. The pretty nurse washes my leg because I bled everywhere and put the biggest bandaid on the planet on me. She finally leaves and I get to put my pants on. I am completely humiliated but my mom assures me that I was very brave.

I look a little rough. I have scabs on my eye and nose. But I have to say that I am super proud of myself for being proactive about my health. And I had already met my deductible, so I got to have all of that fun for a bargain price of $40. I will not be posting pictures. You can thank me later.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl-

I love you-face scabs and all...

Mike

Staci said...

OMG, Kristen. All I can say is that you are so brave. I've needed to have some things removed for some time now, but I'm a weenie, so I keep putting it off. Way to go for taking care of business.

Monica Curry said...

You never cease to amaze me with your humor and wit. I laughed out loud. You are a brave lady...I should go get "checked out" but I'm too big of a weenie! I miss you!

Mika said...

Oh Kristen! You are such a wonderful story teller. I need to remember to not read your blog while kids are in the room. They all look at me like I've lost my mind because I'm laughing so hard. I'm not laughing at your pain, but at the situation. I'm really proud of you for going. I too am a weenie and don't want to know. :)

Carrie Maxwell said...

i have been so looking forward to this post, and you did not let me down.

good for you, for taking care of yourself.... and trust me, those guys have seen more than just a few skin tags. :)

Brooke said...

Did you know I have, not just a common "needle phobia" but an entire "medical procedure" phobia that can instantly make me queasy?? And on top of that I was innocently eating a bowl of cereal while reading this??!?!
I knew there would be sweat in this tale (which I have been anxiously awaiting), but add in breastfeeding and it became a doozie of a story!!!
I am proud of you!!! I wait until I am entirely fed up with a skin affliction before I have it looked at...that way it hurts less!
By the way thanks for the tip...I bet breastfeeding an 8 year old would get me out of the waiting room REALLLY quick! Eeeuuuu.

Mama of 2 P's in a Pod said...

You've got me thinking about going now, even with your fun story! I'm proud of you, you were VERY brave!

Anonymous said...

Oh how you make me laugh. I wish I were as brave as you. I can't believe you asked the dr. if he wanted you to pull your pants down. I can't wait for you to get back to school. We really miss you around here.

Anonymous said...

You were brave, you are lovely and I love you.

Anonymous said...

You could not DRAG me to a dermatologist after that story. Seriously, I am feeling weak.

Instantly Mama said...

You crack me up! :)

Btw, I nominated you for a blog award. :)

Mary said...

Oh my side hurts from laughing so hard! That is priceless!

Anonymous said...

Oh dude. I so need to do this.
You make me laugh, Kristen.
I had three moles removed when I was 18, and lifeguarding. Ack! Talk about self-counscious!
Oh, they were all on my face. I need to do it again. It wasn't fun. I understand.

I'm proud of ya.

Anonymous said...

You are brave and you are such a blessing to bring humor about the dermatologist. You are so funny. I am glad that you have walked through that valley and I pray you will not have to go back ever, or for a very long time.
Lori E.