We love camping! On Tuesday afternoon, we headed out to Roaring Springs and packed as much fun as possible into 24 hours! It was so nice to be away from home for just a bit- no phones, computers, TV, or dishes to wash! It is so much fun to watch Carter soak up new experiences- we have taken him camping before but I don't think he remembered it. And Evyn, of course, was an absolute doll.
We set up camp, went swimming, cooked dinner, played in the creek, went to the playground, made s'mores, caught fireflies, watched the stars, caught bugs, collected cicada shells, caught a pollywog, went on "adventures," and had an all around wonderful time. We saw a ton of wildlife including a deer, rabbits, raccoons, frogs, lizards, catfish and croppies, pollywogs, and lots of different kinds of bugs.
Here is the crew setting up camp.

And testing out the air mattress.

Collecting his cicada shells. Please notice that he is wearing his "smokey the bear" button with pride. He would wear that thing every day if I would let him.

This cicada must have latched onto our tent bag and come out of his shell overnight. We thought that was cool. Carter caught the bug in a bottle and took it with him all day. We finally talked him into letting it go so it would not die and we had lots of tears after our "launching" ceremony. He is nothing if he is not tenderhearted.

Eating dinner. (Please ignore how camp-licious I look in these pictures.)

Playing in the creek.

Evyn discovered her love of graham crackers.

Carter with his ladybug friend.

Cooking marshmallows. (Check out that squat, Brigitte.)

A picnic breakfast of donuts. This kid was in heaven.

We have decided that we might be getting too old to sleep on the ground so if anyone has a pop-up that they would like to donate to our cause that would be great! I think that this will be a summer time tradition for a long time! We had a wonderful time just being together. I am blessed with such a sweet family and the opportunity to watch the ordinary become extraordinary!
10 comments:
First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Can't wait to hear how the day went. Second, you guys are such fun parents to take your kiddos camping even when they are still really small. So glad it was fun! And third, Carter could totally use a squatty potty with that pose. He's a natural! Love you and thinking of you today.
yes, yes! so fun. see you tomorrow. I still have that bag o goodies for miss e.
Happy B-day sweet heart.
It doesn't seem that long ago that we were camping in that exact spot. How fun it is to see your kids discovering the world around them.
Great pics.
What, exactly, is a pollywog?
I love how much Carter loves his "flair"... buttons, dress up, hats... it really stinkin cute!
BTW We still have a craft of Evyn's and possibly her hot pink hair bow.
I had Smokey the Bear socks...I loved them. I get the button thing!
Angie, it is like an enormous tadpole- only I don't know if it ever morphs into anything else.
Stacee- thank you. He really is a precious boy and I love him so very much. I think he is one of a kind, but I am biased!
What fun!! We actually have been thinking about going camping there next week. I think you confirmed it with such fun pictures!
Ah...you learn something new everyday! And I love the coining of the new phrase 'camp-licious'. But for the record, any girl who catches pollywogs, cicadas, and frogs w/ her little munchkin is a total babe! You're a great momma!
I whole heartedly agree with Angie. What a MOM!!! Your pictures make me so anxious for our vacation.
Post a Comment