Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Friday, January 18, 2008

My Own Little 12 Step Program

I always use the restroom in the nurse's office at school and there is this poster hung directly across from the potty in there that you can't help but read while tending to business. It is a list of random goals like "smile more often," "enjoy sunsets," "eat more chocolate," - you get the picture. The one that always catches my attention says "overcome your addiction to approval." I love this statement. I don't guess I had ever really stopped to think about the desire for approval as an addiction until this outdated yet somehow classic poster grabbed my attention with all of its pink, floral wisdom.

Naturally I got to thinking about how much of my life I have dedicated to pleasing someone else either with how I look or how I behave or any number of other silly, petty, insignificant things. I had a clarifying moment under the flourescent bulb in the girls cot room as I read this poster yet again the other day. The only approval that I should be striving for is the Lord's. Is my life pleasing to Him? Do my words and actions bring Him glory? Am I focusing on things of eternal significance or things that are temporary and fleeting? I want to live a life that turns other people to the Lord. I want to want HIS approval more than anything. So, I am beginning my own little recovery program and making a concentrated effort to deliberately care less about what the world thinks about me and keep my focus on what really matters. I don't want to get so bogged down in pleasing humans that I forget whose pleasure I was created for.

So, there you have it. My name is Kristen and I am an approval-aholic. I guess you can consider that my first step to recovering!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen....
I need to join you, as I too am an approval-aholic. Your post inspired me and blessed my soul. Here's to moving forward and keeping each day intentional in both word and deed.

Your friend...

Kim Ott

Staci said...

Wow, Kristen! You really hit the nail on the head. If I could filter out all the things I do to please people other than the Lord (myself included), I would probably be much more at peace with my life. I think, maybe I'll join you in your recovery effort.

Hi, My name's Staci, and I'm stuck on approval like hair in lipstick on a windy day.

Mary said...

Well, not that it matters.......but I heartily approve! You live your life full of the love of Christ, and I'm proud of ya!

Anonymous said...

So when's the group meeting? I'm there! Love you, friend.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Brigitte,

WOW--I need to quit worrying about approval from anyone other than my Heavenly Father...thank you for this reminder and encouragement to begin my own recovery program as well!

Hugs!
BonkLand

Anonymous said...

Amen, Kristen. We are to live our lives to glorify God. Not_________. Fill in the blank, which for me is alot of people. I join you. We spend way too much energy on worry about what others think of us. You have wisdom beyond your years sweet friend.
Lori E.