Zephaniah 3:17 NLT

For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Uninvited Houseguests

I hate to admit this publicly because it makes me feel so dirty and creepy, but Mike is insistent that I blog about the latest adventure in the Lewis house. We seem to have a little- strike that- a large problem with mice in our utility room. It all started with a few droppings a few weeks ago, and now I am convinced that an entire mouse colony is somehow nested on my property helping themselves to catfood and happily pooping in my floor. Mike swears that he heard some squeaking one night while I was sleeping. I seriously doubt that mice actually squeak and that on the off-chance that they do that he actually heard it, but he is convinced.

So, my hunter gatherer husband went to Walmart and bought every kind of mousetrap known to man. We have the classic wood trap baited with peanut butter. We have the glueboards in various shapes and sizes. And we have some new fangled and rather humane looking black plastic mouse box. He could not wait to show me the danger zone that used to be my utility room. I had been home no more than an hour when we found our first victim and that sucker was FAT. He had been living off the fat of the land for a while. Score one for the old fashioned wood trap. The down side of this first catch was that there was truly an alarming amount of blood and despite the fact that I desperately want these mice out of my house it made me really sad to actually see him dead.

Last night, or rather early this morning (4:30 am), I heard Mike up in the utility room. He had caught one on the glueboard and saw another one run for his life out the door. The best part of this story is that one had triggered the wood trap and somehow drug it under the washing machine. So at 4:30 in the morning Mike is in the utility room right next door to where I am trying to sleep and he is throwing the washing machine into the wall while he noisily shoves a stick of some kind under it trying to kill this mouse. Fifteen minutes later he had set it free and hacked me off. I was wide awake wondering why the loud assault I had just experienced could not have waited an hour until my alarm went off.

So, now we are on to night number two of the attack. I am hoping to either get several tonight or at least scare them off with all of the commotion that I am certain Mike will be making at an equally inconvenient time. The only comfort that I have in any of this is that they are only in the utility room and not in the kitchen or Carter's room, but they gross me out and make my skin crawl. Yuck. Mike wanted me to post pictures. I am not sure I need to subject you to that yet, but rest assured that I will keep you updated with our progress.

9 comments:

Mary said...

You know, Kristen, that this is the juicy kind of stories that just "make" blogs! I just had to laugh! What in the world was Mike doing up at 4:00 in the morning???? Just waiting for a mouse? ha,ha,ha,ha So excited for more stories tomorrow night.................

Anonymous said...

HELPFUL HINTS FOR THE EXTINCTION OF RALPH S. MOUSE'S FAMILY...

1--For those little friends stuck to glue boards...do not assume they are securely stuck. The Rainmaker suggests beating it with a large object before disposing of its body. (a shovel works nicely)

2--Do not sell your house...I was convinced this was the only solution when Ralph S. Mouse and fam moved into our Lubbock house. The Rainmaker assured me this was not necessary. However, I beg to differ. Now you know why we REALLY moved.

3--There is a nice kind of Ralph S. Mouse Elimination Product that involves exploding their stomachs, but not to worry b/c they don't actually physically blow up...they just have their stomachs implode causing a slow, painful death leading them into the unknown.

4--Ralph S. Mouse DOES INDEED SQUEAK...We have witnessed Ralph S. Mouse's verbal utterances while chasing him thru the house with a tennis racket. (editor's note: The Rainmaker was the tennis racket chaser...Rainmaker's Wife was in the middle of the kitchen table calling my mother who lived three hours away.)

5--Both the Rainmaker and his wife suggest a meeting with Toonces regarding the seemingly blind eye
(s)he has turned to the uninvited move-in of Ralph S. Mouse and his immediate family, extended family, twice-removed family, friends, neighbors, and countrymen.

BONKLAND

Brooke said...

Seriously, where is Toonces in all of this???? He is not keeping us his end of the bargain!

Anonymous said...

Poor Toonces! She doesn't have claws. Probably, Michael heard the mice in the utility room! He comes by that trait honestly! Mice have a smaller squeak than a guinea pig - thankfully. ; )

Mom

Anonymous said...

Kellie,

Thanks for backing me up on hearing the rodents squeaking!

Sweet K,

I am surprised that you got so upset that I was going on the offensive, albeit very early in the morning. If I hear another mouse limping around stuck in a trap, rest assured I will be slamming appliances once again. I will solve the mouse problem. I am the Eradicator.

Mike

Anonymous said...

I can't help but smirk, because Kristen laughed really hard when we had our mice problems.

Mike - you are having more success than I was having at killing mice. Good Luck.

Ben Martin

Anonymous said...

I know, put the Hot Dog man in the utility room, he'll scare of the little fellows. Actually, this is what you get for having such a warm, loving, fun, inviting home. All God's creatures feel welcome, I sure do.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think you should take the gross-factor up a notch and post pictures. You know, the mice in Asia eat rice, so maybe you should try that little delicacy to entice them. :)
Happy hunting. Love, B.

Anonymous said...

To the ERADICATOR,

We applaud your Wild At Heart efforts to eliminate Ralph S. Mouse and friends from the Lewis dwelling.

Three cheers to you ERADICATOR MAN!

BONKLAND